Thursday, August 26, 2010

Remaining Fruit by Johnny Moffitt of WVIW

John 15:16 (New International Version)

16"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."
     I have been thinking about this verse a lot lately.  It was when God spoke this verse to me some twenty-five years ago, that we changed the primary focus of this ministry from evangelism to discipleship.  The first seven years of WVIW we saw tens of thousands of prisoners born again.  We would hold crusades in as many as ten prisons at one time.  In 1986 we were part of the National Prison Invasion and were responsible for crusades in 35 prisons on one weekend.  I believe in evangelism.
     In 1985, God spoke to me and said, "How many of your fruit remain?"  I could count them on one hand.  I was broken.  I went into earnest prayer.  That is when I made the decision to focus on "remaining fruit."  We began to take the "Overcomers" Christian twelve step program into the prisons.  Later on we developed the "Manhood Seminars".  Also in 1985, Betty and I attended our first in-prison "WVIW Marriage Seminar."  It was at that seminar, where our commitment to discipleship was confirmed.
     Now as I think about my fruit that remains, it is difficult to count them all.  I think of the man who helped start WVIW, now directing a powerful ministry on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico.  Then there are three men from three different state prison systems who are now directing Transitional Houses in their respective states.  One prisoner, born again when I preached in Attica Prison in New York, became the Chaplain at a Connecticut prison.  Not to mention the dozens of men we discipled, in prison and out, who are now not only living for God, but are in full time ministry.  A special blessing is the hundreds of couples who have connected with this ministry through the "WVIW Marriage Seminars".  I praise God today for my spiritual heritage through connections with spiritual fathers over the years.  And, I praise Him for my spiritual linage through the connections with people we have been able to disciple.
     I desire that for you.  Has God ever asked you, "How many people have you led to Christ?" or "How many of your fruit remain?"  Why don't you connect with WVIW?  Come go with us into a prison on a Crusade, a Marriage Seminar, a Manhood Seminar, or a short term mission trip to share the gospel with a neglected or forgotten people in a foreign nation.  Come join the team.  My prayer is that John 15:16 will be as meaningful for you as it is for me.

1 comment:

  1. Lord loves, cares for, understands needs of prisoners, there 24/7, great talking friend does not tell or yell in the yard or in the cell. our song SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD are free to use non commercially just drop me a note g. hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 blog http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...